American Netflix blocks devices with foreign IP addresses from connecting to its servers. You’re left with no choice but to watch the content in your country. If you try changing your IP address by using a proxy, you’ll find that the streaming remains blocked.
Read on and learn how you can unblock American Netflix from the UK and anywhere in the world. We’ll cover the following:
How to watch American Netflix in the UK
If you’re in the UK, you’ll be missing out on TV shows and movies like The Departed, Pulp Fiction, and Apocalypse Now. While Netflix UK has a decent amount of titles, it is still second to American Netflix.
The reason why Netflix content differs from country to country is due to legal constraints as it may not have the right to screen some TV shows in your country.
To overcome the predicament, you’ll need a VPN to mask your IP address with a US-based one and trick Netflix into believing you’re in the United States.
However, not all VPNs can unblock American Netflix. The streaming giant has tightened its geo-restrictive censorship by blocking incoming connections from VPN servers.
At the moment of writing, only a few VPNs are can access Netflix US. Of the functional ones, you’ll need to get a VPN with fast connection speed to enjoy uninterrupted streaming.
Our top choice is ExpressVPN, as it’s arguably the fastest VPN and is a few steps ahead when unblocking American Netflix. ExpressVPN also offers a 30-day-money-back guarantee, which means you can try it out risk-free and watch Netflix US to your heart’s content.
Here’s how to get started.
1. Sign up to one of ExpressVPN’s plans
2. Insert your email and complete the payment process.
3. Create your password for the ExpressVPN account.
4. Download ExpressVPN for your device.
5. Install ExpressVPN and launch the app. Insert the activation code which is located in your account dashboard.
6. Choose a US server on the app and click connect.
7. Key in Netflix.com in your browser and you’ll be directed to the US libraries. In our case, we managed to stream Pulp Fiction, which is only available on American Netflix.
The beauty of using a VPN is that you can access American Netflix not only in the UK but in almost any country with a decent internet connection.
How to get American Netflix on PS4
If you’ve been watching Netflix from a PS4, accessing American Netflix isn’t straightforward. You can’t install a VPN on a PS4, but that doesn’t mean you can’t leverage a VPN to watch Netflix US shows on a PS4.
It may take more effort than installing a VPN, but here are some methods that work.
1. Download the VPN To The Router
There are currently no VPN apps that target the PS4, but you can still unblock American Netflix by ensuring the VPN is installed on the router. By having a VPN on your router, and configured to connect to a US location, you’re able to access American Netflix.
Here’s the catch.
Not all VPNs can be installed on a router and for those that do, only selected models of routers are supported. If you’re using ExpressVPN, you can set up the VPN on these routers easily.
- Asus RT-AC56(U/R/S)
- Asus RT-AC68U
- Asus RT-AC87U
- Linksys EA6200
- Linksys WRT1200AC
- Linksys WRT1900AC(S)
- Linksys WRT3200ACM
- Netgear R6300
- Netgear Nighthawk R7000
VPNs that support routers provide installation guides that you help you through the process.
2. Use A Shared Network
If you don’t have a router that works with a VPN, the next best way is to share the VPN connected network on your computer with the PS4. Instead of directly connecting to the router, connect the PS4 to the computer with a LAN cable.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Subscribe and install a VPN that unblocks American Netflix. Connect to a VPN server in the US. In this guide, we’ll stick to ExpressVPN.
2. Right-click on the network icon on the taskbar and select Open Network & Internet Settings
3. Select Change Adapter Options
4. Locate the Ethernet Adapter that is dedicated to ExpressVPN. Double click to access the properties.
5. Click on the Sharing tab. Tick on the checkbox for “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection”.
6. Plug the ethernet cable to connect the PS4 to the computer.
7. On the PS4 Menu, select Settings→ Network→ Setup Internet Connection→ Use LAN Cable. This will ensure the PS4 is connected to the shared network instead of WiFi.
8. Open the Netflix app on your PS4. You’ll now get American Netflix on the PS4.
Best VPNs to Watch Netflix USA
ExpressVPN isn’t the only VPN that works for American Netflix. Here are the top 3 VPNs that unblock Netflix USA.
|Streaming-friendly connection speed||✅||✅||✅|
|Number of countries||94+||50+||59|
|24/7 Customer support||✅||✅||✅|
|No of devices||5||6||6|
|Supports chain VPN connections||No||Yes (Double VPN)||Yes (Double VPN)|
|Router Support |
By tapping into the tech offered by a VPN, the frustration of not having access to American Netflix should end. Sign up to any of our recommended VPNs and start streaming Netflix shows and movies that are not available in your country.