Skype used to be the only telecommunications app that offered integrated voice and video calling features. This made the app somewhat ubiquitous for many business processes. But, that’s no longer the case today as there are many new web and mobile applications that offer the same benefits. This has led to many users wondering how they can delete a Skype account that’s no longer in use. So how do you delete a Skype account? let's find out.
Do you live in the UAE and can’t use Skype? Read this article: How to Make Free Video Calls in the UAE in Dubai
Why is it so difficult to delete your Skype account?
Now that you’re not utilizing Skype anymore, how do you get rid of your account? Unfortunately, Microsoft hasn’t made this easy for the average user. This is because the company has opted to integrate Skype into its users' Microsoft accounts. So, if you cancel your Skype account, it means that you'll also have to get rid of your Microsoft account as well.
If you want to delete your Skype and Microsoft accounts because of privacy, you might also want to read: How to Completely Clear All Your Search History.
How to delete a Skype account but not a Microsoft account
Now, what if you need to keep your Microsoft account and remove only your Skype account? Perhaps you’re using other Microsoft services such as Office 365 and OneDrive? Unfortunately, that's not an option because there's no way to get rid of one without including the other. Microsoft has so deeply integrated Skype into its users' accounts that there's no way of separating it from other Microsoft-related services.
If deleting your Microsoft account is not an option, then the only other recourse is to strip all personal and potentially sensitive information from your Skype account then uninstall it from all of your devices.
How to delete your Skype account permanently
Let's suppose that you don't use any other Microsoft services, how to delete a Skype account in this case? Well, you can do just that by going through the following steps:
- First of all, you need to be on a computer (PC or Mac) to mark your Skype account for deletion. The option is not available on mobile. Open Skype on your computer and select the profile icon on the top left side of the screen, then navigate to “Settings.”
- This should take you to the “Account & Profile” page. From here, you will see the option to delete your Skype account at the bottom of the menu. Notice how Skype reminds you that option will cancel your Microsoft account as well. Click on “Close Your Account” to continue.
- Skype will prompt you to log on to your Microsoft account to confirm the process. Key in the required information and select “Next.”
- As an additional step for verification, Microsoft will send a code either through text or email, which you'll have to key in to confirm the process. Click on your desired verification method (email or text message) and confirm the next few steps.
- Check your email or phone for the verification code and key in the required information and click on “Verify.”
- For the next step, Microsoft will give you a list of things that you might want to do before marking your Skype and Microsoft account for deletion. Go through each item carefully and make sure that you don't lose access to any critical data or services. Click on “Next” at the bottom of the page to continue.
- The next page marks the final step for deleting your Skype account. You will be asked to tick off several checkboxes which ensure that you understand the consequences of deleting your Microsoft account. You will also be asked to state your reasons for wanting to close your account. Select the reason that applies to you and click on “Mark account for Closure.“
At this point, both your Skype and Microsoft accounts are now marked for deletion. There will be a 60-day waiting period, after which your account will be deleted entirely and scrubbed from the server. And that's how to delete a Skype account once and for all.
If you change your mind, simply log on to Skype or Microsoft, and your account will be reinstated in full as long as it is done within the grace period.
So there you have it — all that you need to know about deleting a Skype account. As you may have realized, the steps are relatively simple, and you just need to know where to look to access the desired option. Remember, if you delete your Skype account, you will also delete your Microsoft account, if you can’t delete your Microsoft account, the next best option is to remove all personal information from Skype and uninstall it on your devices.