Are you looking for information on how to use NordVPN on Firestick? The latter is Amazon’s answer to Roku and Google’s Chromecast — plug-and-play devices that instantly turn an ordinary TV into a smart one complete with all the video streaming services you could want. That said, the Fire Stick can potentially expose you to the same cybersecurity threats inherent in any internet-enabled device. This is why many people use NordVPN to secure their Amazon devices.
In this article, we will help you accomplish the same as we go over the following:
Table of Contents
Why You Should Use NordVPN on Fire Stick
Before we go over the details on how to run NordVPN on your Fire stick device, it’s essential to get a good grasp of why it’s necessary in the first place. Whether or not the latter is worth doing depends on one’s video streaming habits and what people are looking to do with their Amazon Fire Stick device.
If you are concerned about malicious third-parties potentially monitoring your online activities and selling your personal data to advertisers, then it makes sense to install NordVPN on your Fire Stick device. The VPN service will mask your IP address and encrypt all traffic coming in and out of the Fire stick device. This makes it impossible (if not very difficult) for unscrupulous parties to intercept and steal sensitive information. In today’s digital age where cybersecurity attacks like phishing and ransomware have become increasingly more common, most people would agree that the security factor alone is more than enough reason to consider using NordVPN with a Fire stick device.
Another good reason to run NordVPN on Firestick is that it allows users to access geo-blocked content on popular video streaming services like Netflix, HBO Now and Amazon Prime Video. This dramatically expands your library of available video titles enabling you to get more out of your Amazon Fire stick device
Now you might be wondering — why use NordVPN in particular? Well, while there are certainly a lot of other VPN services in the market, NordVPN is one of the better ones out there. They are a Panama-based VPN company, which means that they are beyond the control of International Intelligence organizations like “Five Eyes.”
Unlike most other VPN companies, NordVPN also does not keep records of their users’ activity. Hence the company is not under any pressure from governments and international regulatory agencies to yield any information they might have on users should a situation call for it.
Another reason (and perhaps the best one) to choose NordVPN is that it explicitly supports Amazon Firestick. They’ve built an app that can be downloaded directly from the Amazon app store. Hence, even someone with little to no technical knowledge of VPNs can use it.
How to Install Nord VPN on FireStick
So now that we’ve gone over the significance of using NordVPN (or any other VPN service for that matter), we can now move on to installing the latter on your Amazon Fire stick device. There are two ways of doing it — through the Amazon App Store or using a downloader app.
Installing NordVPN through the Amazon App Store
The Amazon app store offers the most straightforward method for adding NordVPN to your Fire Stick TV. The latter can be done in a few minutes through the following steps:
- Turn on the device and wait until you reach the Fire Stick Homescreen. Press the search button on the remote and key in “NordVPN”.
- From the search results, select NordVPN. Click on the “Download” button and wait for the installation process to complete.
- Open the NordVPN app and log on to your account. If you don’t have an account yet, you will need to sign up for a NordVPN account first.
Installing NordVPN via Downloader App
If you’re having trouble installing NordVPN through the native app store, then there’s always the second method which involves using a downloader app. The latter takes longer but is generally the more reliable method as it allows you to install unofficial versions of the app should there be a problem with the official release (the one in the Amazon app store).
You can start with the following steps:
- Go to the Fire Stick home screen and navigate to “Settings” on the top menu.
- Go to “Device” then select “Fire TV”. Enable “Apps from Unknown Sources” under “Developer Options.
- Go back to the Fire Stick home screen and press on the search button on your remote. Key in “Downloader” and install the app.
- Next, it’s time to download the APK (Android Package Kit) for NordVPN. Visit the link https://nordvpn.com/download/android/ and select “Download APK”.
- Once the download is complete, your Fire Stick device will ask whether to install the application. Proceed to install and wait for it to finish
- Go back to the Fire Stick home screen and again navigate to the “Settings” page. This time, go to “Applications” and under “Manage Installed Applications”, choose NordVPN to open the app.
- At this point, NordVPN is now installed on your Fire Stick device. Just open the app and log on to your account to start using it and watch your favorite shows in confidence.
So there you have it — everything that you need to know about installing NordVPN on your Amazon Fire Stick device! As you may have already realized, the process is not at all difficult and offers many benefits that make it worth doing. For one thing, you will get access to shows that are normally unavailable in your region. More importantly, you can have peace of mind knowing that your online activities are safe and that no one is collecting your personal information without your knowledge.
While running NordVPN on your Fire Stick TV does entail dealing with some additional cost every month (as low as $3.49 per month for a 3-year plan), most people would agree that it’s a small price to pay in exchange for the aforementioned benefits.